- "Biden’s victory & Trump’s defeat is a testament to the resilience of American democracy." - Washington Post Editorial Board, 11/7/20
- "They gutted the Voting Rights Act. They sabotaged the Postal Service. They closed polling places, purged voter rolls, attacked mail voting, tried to throw out ballots. And yet voters turned out in record numbers to overcome these barriers & make their voices heard." - Ari Berman (@AriBerman), 11/7/20
- "Trump follows the legacy of Andrew Johnson, as only the second one-term and impeached POTUS." - Neal Katyal (@neal_katyal), 11/7/20
- "The Americans have chosen their President. Congratulations @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris! We have a lot to do to overcome today’s challenges. Let's work together!" - Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron), President of France, 11/7/20
- "I congratulate @JoeBiden on his election as the next U.S. President & @KamalaHarris as Vice President. I know Joe Biden as a strong supporter of our Alliance & look forward to working closely with him. A strong #NATO is good for both North America & Europe." - Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg), NATO General Secretary, 11/7/20
- “Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States,” Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany wrote. “From my heart, I wish him good luck and success, and also congratulate Kamala Harris, the first woman Vice President-elect of her country.” - New York Times, 11/7/20
- "Trump isn't just facing a humiliating loss. He's facing several criminal investigations, debts being called in, an existential threat to his business empire, and financial ruin." - Brian Klaas (@brianklaas), 11/7/20
- "I warmly congratulate @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris for their victory in the U.S. Presidential elections. The EU and the USA are friends and allies, our citizens share the deepest of links. I look forward to working with President-elect Biden." - Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen), President of the E.U. Commission, 11/7/20
- "Congratulations, @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris. Our two countries are close friends, partners, and allies. We share a relationship that’s unique on the world stage. I’m really looking forward to working together and building on that with you both." - Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau), Prime Minister of Canada, 11/7/20
- "Congratulations @JoeBiden on your win as President elect of the United States of America. I wish you well in office and look forward to further strengthening our countries relations on crucial matters such as climate change and human rights." - Katrín Jakobsdóttir (@katrinjak), Prime Minister of Iceland, 11/7/20
Of course, the usual framing for an incoming administration is structured around "the First 100 Days."
Well, that's a luxury we don't have.
Here are my priorities for the First Hundred Hours ...
1. Launch a full-bore NATIONAL effort led by SCIENTISTS, to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, including a mask mandate, massive roll-out of testing and contact tracing and the production and distribution of PPE. And re-join the WHO and join with the nations of the world in the coordinated global effort to develop and deliver a safe and effective vaccine for Covid-19.