“There r more of us.” More who want abortion rights, more who want gun control, more who want climate action, more who want to protect voting rights.
If we lose the House, it will be because of gerrymandering and dark money. If we lose the Senate, it will be because of dark money & the mainstream news media’s normalization of insane, dangerous candidates.
This United Front for Sanity & Decency can only be overcome if it fails itself. Do not succumb to despair. Do not choose delusion or denial. “There is no hiding place down here,” as the African-American spiritual declares. You must choose sides & fight.
Toward 1st of 3 Doom-Defying Deadlines
- 2022: U.S. Mid-Term Elections
- 2024: U.S. Presidential Elections
- 2031: Climate Apocalypse?
The Facts on the Ground
- Planetary Emergencies
- Climate Collapse
- Pledges to cut greenhouse gas emissions will lead to global heating of 2.5C, a level that would condemn the world to catastrophic climate breakdown, according to the United Nations. Only a handful of countries have strengthened their commitments substantially in the last year, despite having promised to do so at the Cop26 UN climate summit in Glasgow last November. Deeper cuts are needed to limit temperature rises to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels, which would avoid the worst ravages of extreme weather. Simon Stiell, the executive secretary of the UN framework convention on climate change, said: “This does not go far enough, fast enough. This is nowhere near the scale of reductions required to put us on track to 1.5C. National governments must set new goals now and implement them in the next eight years.” - Fiona Harvey, Current emissions pledges will lead to catastrophic climate breakdown, says UN, Guardian
- MSNBC: Responding to news of police investigating bizarre, hateful flyers that mix anti-Semitism with Covid conspiracies, Dr. Fauci talks with Alex Wagner about "the normalization of untruths" as being more worrisome to him than personal attacks from Republican politicians. 'The Normalization Of Untruths' Worries Dr. Fauci More Than GOP Threats" (See video below)
- The Big Lie, 1/6 & Beyond
- "Perpetuating the big lie is an attack on the core of our constitutional republic ... Trump is the spark but the Republicans are the oxygen. There is no slide to autocracy without Republicans.” - Nicolle Wallace, MSNBC
- “Ukrainians have made significant gains during the last weeks and months. And this is of course, a great example of the bravery, the courage of the Ukrainian Armed Forces,” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said during a press conference following a meeting with Romanian Prime Minister Nicolae Ciuca on Oct. 26. He assured that the Alliance is ready to support Ukraine for as long as it takes. “We cannot allow President Putin to win,” Stoltenberg stressed. - EuroMaiden Press, "NATO will not allow Putin to win war against Ukraine – Stoltenberg"
- Guns & Abortion
- Brian Klaas (@brianklaas): 5x the population. 692x more gun homicides. This is a policy choice. It’s that simple. Republicans have made a policy choice that inevitably leads to mass slaughter.
Peter Thiel & the Billionaires, Bane of the Republic
In the third update, I told you about Leonard Leo and his $1.6 billion radical right-wing war chest and of radical right-wing billionaire John Malone taking control of CNN and German industrialist Axel Springer taking control of Politico.com, in the fourth update, I told you about Elon Musk coming up with $44 billion to take control of Twitter, in this fifth and final update, consider radical right-wing billionaire Peter Thiel's investment of tens of millions of dollars in a GQP takeover of the Senate:
- The German-born investor and tech entrepreneur, a Silicon Valley “disrupter” who helped found PayPal alongside Elon Musk and made his fortune as one of the earliest investors in Facebook, has catapulted himself into the top ranks of the mega-donor class by pouring close to $30m into this year’s midterm elections. He’s not merely favoring one party over another, but is supporting candidates who deny the legitimacy of Joe Biden’s election as president and have, in their different ways, called for the pillars of the American establishment to be toppled entirely. Thiel’s priorities this midterm cycle have partly aligned with those of Donald Trump, with whom he has had an on-again, off-again relationship since writing him a $1.25m check during the 2016 presidential campaign. Thiel, like Trump, has made it his business to end the careers of what he calls “the traitorous 10”, Republican House members who voted to impeach Trump in the wake of the January 6 insurrection. Four of these members opted not to run for re-election at all, and four more, including Liz Cheney, the vice-chair of the House committee investigating January 6, went down in the primaries. But there are also signs that Thiel is thinking around and beyond the former president. The lion’s share of his largesse – $28m and counting – has been directed towards two business proteges who, with his help, have established themselves as gadfly rightwing darlings: JD Vance, the best-selling author of the blue-collar memoir Hillbilly Elegy, who is running for Senate in Ohio, and Blake Masters, a self-styled “anti-progressive” and anti-globalist who is running for Senate in Arizona. Over the past decade, ever since the supreme court dramatically loosened the rules of political campaign giving in its Citizens United decision, Thiel has placed sizable bets on candidates who are not only conservative but have sought to challenge longstanding institutional traditions and break the Republican party’s own norms ... Thiel himself opined as far back as 2009 that he no longer believed democracy to be compatible with freedom and expressed “little hope that voting will make things better” ... Steve Bannon, Trump’s ultra-right campaign manager and political strategist, told a Thiel biographer: “Peter’s idea of disrupting government is out there.” - Andrew Gumbel, Peter Thiel’s midterm bet: the billionaire seeking to disrupt America’s democracy, Guardian
- Robert Reich (@RBReich): Peter Thiel has poured nearly $30M into the midterms — backing his personal protégés JD Vance and Blake Masters. Nike co-founder Phil Knight is throwing millions into Oregon's governor race — siphoning votes from Democrats. Billionaires are shaping our elections to their whims.
- Citizens for Ethics (@CREWcrew): These are the top 5 corporate contributors to election deniers running for federal and state offices:
1. Koch Industries, $629,000
2. AT&T, $619,500
3. Home Depot, $544,500
4. UPS, $441,100
5. Boeing, $427,500
- Greg Pinelo (@gregpinelo): There's something sinister about all these stories of Republicans gaining momentum. Every time voters have actually gone to the polls since the Roe decision, Democrats have out-performed. Early vote numbers, which typically favor Dems, are breaking records...
If Democrats prevail in midterms, then "GOP surging" stories are going to fuel election denialism. "What happened? We were winning, look at all these polls and stories! Democrats stole it!" Republicans will throw gas on the fire for 2022. Media is killing democracy for clicks.
Every pollster is sampling conservatively. There is no historical norm for an election held on the heels of half the electorate being relegated to second-class citizenship. No one knows what turnout of women will look like. All I know is Kansas.
This election is no longer about persuasion. It's about the composition of the electorate. If there is a Kansas effect (doesn't have to be as huge), Dems will shock the world. If turnout of women is within historical norms and white women vote GOP at typical rates, we lose.
- Matthew Dowd (@matthewjdowd): Too many in the news media and pundits/analysts jumped on growing gop support way too quickly as I have said. Three new national polls out in last 24 hours show Dem generic ballot lead at 4 points. [Tweeted 10/26/22]
Pennsylvania’s Senate debate between John Fetterman and Mehmet Oz ignores
the history of illness & disability in the Senate and White House.
- Tomthunkit™ (@TomthunkitsMind): Republicans’ newly-introduced national abortion ban would put doctors in prison for up to 5 years, force women to undergo extremely invasive transvaginal ultrasounds, and keep in place statewide bans that force rape victims to give birth. Mark Joseph Stern, "The Perverse, Potentially Lethal Consequences of Lindsey Graham’s Federal Abortion Ban" Slate, 9/14/22
- Khashoggi’s Ghost (@UROCKlive1): Dems need one ad playing over and over on a loop, and I haven't seen it yet. Kevin McCarthy saying they're going to shut down the government and put us in default to blackmail us into ending or cutting Social Security and Medicare. This is their goal and these are their tactics.
- Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1): Rep. Liz Cheney: "It's really disgraceful that Minority Leader McCarthy suggested that if the Republicans get the majority back, we will not continue to provide support for the Ukrainians. What's happening in Ukraine today shows that democracy must be better armed than tyranny."
- Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski): Marge: “We are going to be leading a revolution in Congress. Biden and his family will be a top target. So will the CDC, FBI, DOJ, DOE, Homeland Security, and many other govt entities that have abused power.”
- “The notion that now Kevin McCarthy is going to make himself the leader of the pro-Putin wing of my party is just a stunning thing,” Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) told NBC News on Sunday. This was a provocative way of reminding the country about the House minority leader’s recent declaration that a GOP-controlled House might seek to roll back U.S. military funding for Ukraine’s war effort ... Greg Sargent: The guy likely to become House speaker is openly declaring that Republicans might not continue U.S. military aid to Ukraine. A number of House GOP and Senate candidates are also hostile to such aid. How seriously do you take this threat? Timothy Snyder: I take it very seriously, because democracy around the world depends on Ukrainians winning this war. I also find it puzzling, because the Ukrainians are doing more for declared bipartisan American national security interests than any American foreign policy has done for decades. By pinning down the Russian army and substantially weakening it, they are weakening China’s cat’s paw, which is Russia. By showing how difficult it is to carry out this kind of invasion, Ukraine is making the scenario for war with China — a Chinese invasion of Taiwan — much less likely. - Greg Sargent, Why Putin hopes for a GOP victory, as explained by a top Russia expert, Washington Post
- A Trump employee has told federal agents about moving boxes of documents at Mar-a-Lago at the specific direction of the former president, according to people familiar with the investigation, who say the witness account — combined with security-camera footage — offers key evidence of Donald Trump’s behavior as investigators sought the return of classified material. The witness description and footage described to The Washington Post offer the most direct account to date of Trump’s actions and instructions leading up to the FBI’s Aug. 8 search of the Florida residence and private club, in which agents were looking for evidence of potential crimes including obstruction, destruction of government records or mishandling classified information. The people familiar with the investigation said agents have gathered witness accounts indicating that, after Trump advisers received a subpoena in May for any classified documents that remained at Mar-a-Lago, Trump told people to move boxes to his residence at the property. That description of events was corroborated by the security-camera footage, which showed people moving the boxes, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation ... - Devlin Barrett, Josh Dawsey, Trump worker told FBI about moving Mar-a-Lago boxes on ex-president’s orders, Washington Post
- Carter ruled that Trump purposefully lied about several facts in the Dec. 2020 lawsuit in Georgia, despite being warned by John Eastman not to go that route. "On December 4, 2021, President Trump and his attorneys alleged in a Georgia state court action that Fulton County improperly counted a number of votes including 10,315 deceased people, 2,560 felons, and 2,423 unregistered voters," said the Court. "President Trump and his attorneys then decided to contest the state court proceeding in federal court and discussed incorporating by referencing the voter fraud numbers alleged in the state petition. On December 30, 2020, Dr. Eastman relayed 'concerns' from President Trump's team 'about including specific numbers in the paragraph dealing with felons, deceased moved, etc.' The attorneys continued to discuss the President's resistance to signing 'when specific numbers were included.'" According to the decision, the following day, Eastman said: "Although the President signed a verification for [the state court filing] back on Dec. 1, he has since been made aware that some of the allegations (and evidence proffered by the experts) and has been inaccurate. For him to sign a new verification with that knowledge (and incorporation by reference) would not be accurate." The emails “show that President Trump knew that the specific numbers of voter fraud were wrong but continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public,” Carter wrote. - Sarah K. Burris, Judge: Trump signed court documents he knew were false, Raw Story
- Steve Benen (@stevebenen): The list of folks from Team Trump who've pleaded the Fifth recently keeps growing: - Kash Patel - Donald Trump himself - John Eastman (in two different investigations) - Eric Trump - Roger Stone - Alex Jones - Jeffrey Clark - Michael Flynn - Kelli Ward (Another member of Trump’s inner circle reportedly takes the Fifth, Maddow Blog)
- Speaking to Politico, [White House Chief of Staff] Klain said: “The president has delivered the largest economic recovery plan since Roosevelt, the largest infrastructure plan since [Dwight D] Eisenhower, the most judges confirmed since Kennedy, the second-largest healthcare bill since Johnson, and the largest climate change bill in history.” - Guardian, 8/19/22
- The White House (@WhiteHouse): Thanks to President Biden’s economic plan, 17 states have unemployment rates below 3%. And, 11 states are at their lowest unemployment rates on record.
- The White House (@WhiteHouse): Yesterday [10//21/22], President Biden announced that the deficit fell by $1.4 trillion this year. This is the largest one-year drop in American history.
- "One of the most extraordinary parts of that decision [Dobbs] was when the majority wrote, 'women are not without electoral or political power.' Let me tell you something - the court & extreme Republicans who have spent decades trying to overturn Roe are about to find out"
- "[McCarthy] wants the US Congress to pass a law that would ban abortion nationwide... if Republicans get their way with a national ban, it won't matter where you live in America. So let me be very clear-- if such a bill were to pass in the next several years, I will veto it"
- 'Today in America, there are women who have been turned away from emergency rooms while having miscarriages … and told they need to wait until they’re sicker before they get the care they need"
- CAP Action (@CAPAction): The extreme right-wing Supreme Court Justices practically dare women to make their voices heard. "They ain't seen nothing yet."
- Mark Jacob (@MarkJacob16): Dear women in Republican families, You don’t have to tell anyone how you vote. It’s a secret ballot. So you can stand up for your rights as a human being and vote against anti-choice Republicans without having to fight with any relatives. Thanks for considering, Mark
- Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren): Right-wing extremists schemed for decades to overturn Roe v. Wade and turn women into second-class citizens. But we can restore abortion rights nationwide with a Democratic House and two more Democratic senators. If we fight together, we can win together.
- Kathy Hochul (@KathyHochul): Your access to an abortion shouldn't depend on who your governor is. But let me be clear: under my watch, your fundamental rights will always be protected in New York.
- Vice President Kamala Harris (@VP): There’s a clear difference in approach when it comes to women’s health care: Our Administration wants to pass a national law protecting abortion. Republicans in Congress are proposing a national abortion ban that will criminalize doctors for providing health care.
- Gretchen Whitmer (@gretchenwhitmer): Because of my lawsuit, abortion is legal in Michigan — and I will keep fighting like hell to make sure Michigan women are protected. Tudor Dixon pledged to enforce Michigan’s dangerous 1931 abortion ban — which would criminalize doctors and nurses.
- Josh Shapiro (@JoshShapiroPA): Doug Mastriano has made clear: the single most important issue of his campaign is banning abortion outright — with absolutely no exceptions. He’s not focused on our economy, workforce, or defending our freedoms. He's only focused on forcing his extremist agenda on Pennsylvania.
- Katie Hobbs (@katiehobbs): I can’t imagine if my doctors’ medical decisions about my health care after my miscarriage could result in their imprisonment. We can’t let Kari Lake’s unhinged stances on abortion rights be anyone’s reality in Arizona.
- Teen Vogue: The midterms are coming up in a few weeks. By all accounts, there are going to be many close races. What role do you think the overturning of Roe and the desire to protect abortion access is going to play in how people vote?
Tish James: We are seeing more and more young people, young individuals, as well as women register to vote, and I think, obviously, they're going to be voting on one single issue and that is reproductive rights. I think it's an issue that has galvanized particularly women in the suburbs, and young people all across this nation who care about fundamental freedom and the rights and reproductive rights of all individuals. I think that Democrats were concerned in the past about losing both houses in Congress and other close races, and now our fortunes have changed somewhat.
TV: Absolutely. In many states, attorneys general have taken center stage since Roe was overturned, with AG's in states like Ohio, Indiana, and Texas becoming involved in denying abortion access. What is it like for you to see your peers use their power in that way?
TJ: The attorneys general, as you know, have defended democracy in the past, and have continued to stand up to those forces that seek to turn back the clock of progress. We will continue to defend the rights of women and other vulnerable and marginalized populations. We've done it before, we'll continue to do it — which is why attorney general races are so critically important, particularly in light of the fact that we may have a divided federal government. It'll be up to the states, and that's why we need to elect more Democratic attorneys general. So I urge all of your readers to pay special attention to the reelection of Dana Nessel in Michigan, Josh Kaul in Wisconsin, Aaron Ford in Nevada, and Keith Ellison in Minnesota. And I would hope that we could change Georgia from red to blue — or, I should say, light red to light blue — by electing Jen Jordan there, and then also Rochelle Garza in Texas. I hope that we will elect the first African American woman attorney general in Massachusetts by voting for Andrea Campbell.
In each update, my "Survey of Critical Races" has focused on races for Senator and Governor, but of course, there are dangers all down the ballet. It is imperative to vote the straight Democratic ticket (unless you're in Utah) up and down the ballot.
Consider this -
- Duty To Warn (@duty2warn): Trump has normalized coups. The GOP boast that if their secretaries of state are elected they’ll make sure Republicans win. They’re running for election on the platform that they will corrupt elections and overthrow democracy.
- “When my coalition of secretary of state candidates get elected, we're gonna fix the whole country and president trump is going to be president again”—Jim Marchant, Republican candidate for Nevada Secretary of State
- Gov. Whitmer on Tudor Dixon: “She refuses to accept the outcome of the last election. She has not yet said she will accept the outcome of the next election."
- Gretchen Whitmer (@gretchenwhitmer): Throughout the pandemic, Tudor Dixon spread dangerous misinformation and conspiracies about the life-saving COVID-19 vaccine — even claiming they would lead to implanted microchips. We cannot put Michiganders' health and safety into the hands of someone this dangerous. #MIgov
- Three men accused of supporting terrorism in the plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor were convicted of all charges Wednesday in a trial that focused on paramilitary drills and fierce contempt for government ahead of the 2020 election. Joe Morrison, his father-in-law Pete Musico, and Paul Bellar were found guilty of supplying “material support” for a terrorist act as members of a group known as the Wolverine Watchmen. They held gun training in rural Jackson County with a leader of the kidnapping scheme, Adam Fox, who was disgusted with Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and other officials and said he wanted to snatch her. The trial in state court was an offshoot of the main case in federal court, which produced mixed results: Fox and an ally were convicted of conspiracy, two more men pleaded guilty but two others were acquitted. Jurors in Jackson, Michigan, read and heard violent, anti-government screeds as well as support for the “boogaloo,” a civil war that might be triggered by a shocking abduction. Prosecutors said COVID-19 restrictions ordered by Whitmer turned out to be fruit to recruit more people to the Watchmen. - Associated Press, 3 men convicted of supporting plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer
- Sawyer Hackett (@SawyerHackett): Dr. Oz: -kills 300+ puppies -mocks stroke victims -makes millions selling bogus products -gives speech in front of Hitler’s car -admits to tasting his own urine Political media: “Fetterman needs to prove in tonight’s debate that he’s fit for office.”
- Laura Bassett (@LEBassett): Everybody tweeting about the Oz / Fetterman debate like we're talking about two similarly legitimate candidates. Is everyone insane? Fetterman has been working (successfully) in public service in Pennsylvania for a decade. Oz is a quack TV doctor!
- The Recount (@therecount): “I would support Donald Trump if he decided to run for president.” — Dr. Oz (R) commits in #PASenateDebate to supporting a potential Donald Trump 2024 run, adding that he hasn’t followed Trump’s legal woes very carefully
- Max Boot (@MaxBoot): Given that Trump fomented an insurrection against our government, this should be disqualifying for any political candidate.
- Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts): Mehmet Oz says abortion should be between "a woman, her doctor, and local political leaders." #PASenateDebate
- Jo (@JoJoFromJerz): Wow — this is huge… Mike Holmgren, one of the greatest coaches in football history (who’s also a Wisconsinite) just came out in support of Mandela Barnes! He’s also hosting a major online event this weekend. This is awesome! Please share this far & wide.
- "I’m Mike Holmgren, former coach for the Green and Gold. Wisconsin is a special place and the folks here deserve a similarly exceptional senator. Someone like Mandela Barnes, who is committed to defending democracy, voting rights and the integrity of our elections. Ron Johnson, on the other hand, was actively engaged in the insurrection. He lied about his involvement in January 6th and won’t commit to upholding the results of the 2022 election of any election after that. If you’re running for office, you have to be honest. If we don’t agree on anything, we have to agree on that. Ron Johnson lied about the 2020 election. He lied about Joe role in the insurrection. And he won’t commit to upholding the truth in future elections. So, Wisconsin, I’m urging you, get rid of the liar Ron Johnson and elect Mandela Barnes this fall."
- Tony Evers (@Tony4WI): My opponent is dangerous. Tim Michels wants to criminalize abortion and has a long history of standing against exceptions for rape or incest—even saying it’s “not unreasonable” to force rape victims to give birth. He is too radical for Wisconsin and must be defeated in November.
- Tristan Snell (@TristanSnell): JD Vance: “I gotta be honest with you, I don't really care what happens to Ukraine one way or the other." We don’t need any more Putin stooges in the Senate. Ohio deserves a Senator who supports freedom and democracy.
- Republicans against Trumpism (@RpsAgainstTrump): The Washington Post reports that the large Ukrainian-American community in OH, traditionally Republican-leaning voters, are backing Tim Ryan for Senate due to JD Vance’s pro-Putin stances. #RepublicansForTimRyan #OHSen
- Mark Jacob (@MarkJacob16): Herschel Walker is a mentally unstable liar who thinks a mysterious mist kills Covid, who hid the existence of 3 of his children, who pretends to be a cop, and who has threatened to shoot multiple women in the head. Republicans think he’s a fine representative of their values.
- A second woman has come forward to say Herschel Walker urged her to abort their child, claiming that the football star turned GOP Senate candidate personally drove her to a clinic in the 1990s to have an abortion against her wishes. The woman, identifying herself as “Jane Doe,” said that after she first went to an abortion clinic in Dallas, Texas, she left in tears because she was unable to move forward with the procedure. But, according to the woman, Walker was unmoved. He drove the woman back to the clinic and pressured her to get the abortion. She had the procedure while he sat in the parking lot. He then drove her to a pharmacy to get the medication prescribed afterwards. - Roger Sollenbergerm, New Woman Alleges Herschel Walker Urged Her to Have Abortion, Daily Beast via Yahoo News
- Steven Greenhouse (@greenhousenyt): VOTER SUPPRESSION > Jennifer Jones, a Morehouse School of Medicine student, went to vote, excited to cast her ballot for Stacey Abrams & Raphael Warnock. But she was informed she couldn't cast a regular ballot because right-wing folks were challenging her Early voters in Georgia face obstacles under state’s new election law
- Dr. Joanne Freeman (@jbf1755): Folks -- if someone tries to prevent you from voting and you're qualified to vote, ask questions and seek guidance (as the woman in this story did). Don't surrender your vote!
- Joy-Ann Reid (@JoyAnnReid): This is how MAGA fascism works. Pay attention because it only gets worse. The end goal is to make elections inaccessible for the out-groups and therefore meaningless, because The Party decides who can vote, counts the votes and always wins, so they remain in permanent control.
- Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw): Kari Lake is “Donald Trump in lipstick. But she delivers her divisiveness in the calm and measured tones of a person reading the news rather than a man who froths at the mic.” Lake is extremely dangerous to democracy — and a decent future for America.
- ABC News reporter Jonathan Karl fact-checked Kari Lake, the Republican gubernatorial nominee in Arizona, on her false claims about the 2020 election.Lake, a former reporter for Fox’s KSAZ-TV, has repeatedly made voter fraud claims in line with former President Donald Trump and has referred to the 2020 election as stolen and corrupt. Lake refused to answer CNN’s Dana Bash last week about whether she’d accept an election loss in November. On Sunday, she told Karl that she’d accept the election results if the election was “fair, honest and transparent.” Lake recently claimed that Arizona’s Maricopa County had accepted 2,000 mail-in ballots after Election Day in 2020. Election officials in the county said that wasn’t true. In his report, Karl noted that a county investigation had determined that there were only “100 potentially questionable ballots cast out of 2.1 million, hardly enough to change the results.” Karl also pushed for an answer from Lake on her claim that 740,000 ballots in the county had no chain of custody. ″[You said] those ballots shouldn’t have been counted. Are you really saying you would throw out the ballots of 740,000, that’s nearly three-quarter of a million Arizonans? I mean, those were ballots...” Karl asked before Lake interjected. “740,000 ballots violated chain of custody requirements in Maricopa County,” Lake replied. Karl said her claim was not true. “I mean the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors put out a 98-page report that went through these allegations,” Karl said. “OK, that is a fact. That is a fact. Check yourfacts,” Lake said. - Ben Blanchett, "Kari Lake Doubles Down On False 2020 Election Claims, Calls Them 'Facts'" Huffington Post
- Rochelle Garza (@RochelleMGarza): Last night, two men under FBI investigation campaigned in Texas, telling the crowd how scared they are that I’m days away from being elected the next AG. When I’m AG this office returns to the people of Texas and Paxton will finally have to answer for his crimes. He’s terrified.
- The Houston Chronicle's editorial board called Beto O'Rourke "one of the most impressive candidates" they had ever seen. After a long history of endorsing Republican candidates, the Houston Chronicle is shifting gears to throw its support behind Rep. Beto O’Rourke, the Democrat challenging GOP Sen. Ted Cruz in the midterm elections. “With eyes clear but certainly not starry, we enthusiastically endorse Beto O’Rourke for U.S. Senate,” the paper’s editorial board wrote on Friday. “The West Texas congressman’s command of issues that matter to this state, his unaffected eloquence and his eagerness to reach out to all Texans make him one of the most impressive candidates this editorial board has encountered in many years.” The Chronicle noted that O’Rourke faces difficult odds. The last time Texas elected a Democrat to the Senate was in 1988. But the race has been closer than expected for red Texas. Polling in the months leading up to the November election has shown O’Rourke and Cruz virtually neck-and-neck. O’Rourke’s campaign has raised more than $38 million, triple what Cruz’s team has collected. - Antonia Blumberg, "Houston Chronicle Endorses Beto O'Rourke For U.S. Senate" Huffington Post
- Mueller, She Wrote (@MuellerSheWrote), 9/4/22: Here’s the really hard math for you MAGAs. There are about 240M eligible voters in the US. 71M voted for Donald. That’s about 29%. “Half” would be 50%. 29 does not equal 50. I hope that clears it up for you. I know numbers can be scary.
- Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1): According to the U.S. Elections Project, more than 15,568,000 early votes have now been cast.
- Joyce Alene (@JoyceWhiteVance): Good news for people who care about the future of democracy
- Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1): Harvard Youth poll: 40% of 18-to-29-year-olds will "definitely" vote in the midterms — that's on track to match or potentially exceed the record-breaking 2018 youth turnout in a midterm. Young voters prefer Democratic control of Congress 57% to 31%.
"Secret Engine" Update #4 (10/15/22): What You Need to Know As We Hurtle Toward 1st of 3 Doom-Defying Deadlines
"Secret Engine" Update #3 (9/24/22): What You Need to Know As We Hurtle Toward 1st of 3 Doom-Defying Deadlines
[All images are sourced and published as Fair Use.]