Before I lay out my recommendations for the "First 100 Hours ..." let's take a snap shot of this moment at what is hopefully the end of history and the beginning of HERstory:
- "Biden’s victory & Trump’s defeat is a testament to the resilience of American democracy." - Washington Post Editorial Board, 11/7/20
- "They gutted the Voting Rights Act. They sabotaged the Postal Service. They closed polling places, purged voter rolls, attacked mail voting, tried to throw out ballots. And yet voters turned out in record numbers to overcome these barriers & make their voices heard." - Ari Berman (@AriBerman), 11/7/20
- "Trump follows the legacy of Andrew Johnson, as only the second one-term and impeached POTUS." - Neal Katyal (@neal_katyal), 11/7/20
- "The Americans have chosen their President. Congratulations @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris! We have a lot to do to overcome today’s challenges. Let's work together!" - Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron), President of France, 11/7/20
- "I congratulate @JoeBiden on his election as the next U.S. President & @KamalaHarris as Vice President. I know Joe Biden as a strong supporter of our Alliance & look forward to working closely with him. A strong #NATO is good for both North America & Europe." - Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg), NATO General Secretary, 11/7/20
- “Joe Biden will be the 46th President of the United States,” Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany wrote. “From my heart, I wish him good luck and success, and also congratulate Kamala Harris, the first woman Vice President-elect of her country.” - New York Times, 11/7/20
- "Trump isn't just facing a humiliating loss. He's facing several criminal investigations, debts being called in, an existential threat to his business empire, and financial ruin." - Brian Klaas (@brianklaas), 11/7/20
- "I warmly congratulate @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris for their victory in the U.S. Presidential elections. The EU and the USA are friends and allies, our citizens share the deepest of links. I look forward to working with President-elect Biden." - Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen), President of the E.U. Commission, 11/7/20
- "Congratulations, @JoeBiden and @KamalaHarris. Our two countries are close friends, partners, and allies. We share a relationship that’s unique on the world stage. I’m really looking forward to working together and building on that with you both." - Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau), Prime Minister of Canada, 11/7/20
- "Congratulations @JoeBiden on your win as President elect of the United States of America. I wish you well in office and look forward to further strengthening our countries relations on crucial matters such as climate change and human rights." - Katrín Jakobsdóttir (@katrinjak), Prime Minister of Iceland, 11/7/20
Well, despite seemingly coordinated, fascistic, terroristic utterances from Steve Bannon, Newt Gingrich, Alex Jones , Vernon Jones and the would-be tyrant himself, their new Krystallnacht was stillborn. And, as I prophesied, "the Power of Nothing" moved from the depths of the ocean of universal Love into and through our collective psyche. We did indeed coalesce into a United Front for Sanity and Decency, and we did indeed take action to "Survive the Pandemic and Save the Republic."
Of course, the usual framing for an incoming administration is structured around "the First 100 Days."
Well, that's a luxury we don't have.
Here are my priorities for the First Hundred Hours ...
1. Launch a full-bore NATIONAL effort led by SCIENTISTS, to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, including a mask mandate, massive roll-out of testing and contact tracing and the production and distribution of PPE. And re-join the WHO and join with the nations of the world in the coordinated global effort to develop and deliver a safe and effective vaccine for Covid-19.
2. Decisively address the economic devastation caused by the pandemic, including extended emergency unemployment benefits, direct stimulus checks and rent relief, as well as substantive aid to state and local governments and genuinely small businesses.
3. Take immediate action to reunite the families of 666 refuge children that Trump-Pence stole from the parents, the ones whose parents have not been tracked down.
4. Re-enter the Paris Climate Accords.
5. Declare the United States' clear, unequivocal commitment to NATO and the Western Alliance.
6. Acknowledge the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and many others from the bully pulpit of the Presidency and commit to swift and sweeping measures to address structural racism in police departments.
7. Move forcefully to undo Trump-Pence sabotage of other major Obama-Biden accomplishments, for example, and in particular, re-join the Iran nuclear agreement, and re-dedicate the U.S. federal government to DACA and the Affordable Care Act
Much is still to be accomplished, the run-off election on January 5th, 2021 for both of Georgia's Senate seats is of paramount importance.