What We Know for Certain Seven Years After 9/11
By Richard Power
Here is what we can say with certainty about this anniversary:
1. Thousands of innocents were slaughtered on 9/11.
2. The Bush-Cheney regime failed those slaughtered innocents before, during and after that day of infamy.
3. 9/11 was not the result of an intelligence failure. There was plenty of intelligence, and national security professionals were desperate for executive engagement.
4. The US mainstream news media and political establishment (including the leadership of the opposition party) failed the slaughtered innocents and their grieving loved ones, by not insisting on accountability for high officials.
5. The 9/11 Commission not only failed the slaughtered innocents and their grieving loved ones, it also failed history, because it whitewashed the stain on the Oval Office.
6. It is not necessary to indulge in theorizing about the visual impression of a planned demolition, or whether or not a plane hit the Pentagon, it is enough to know what Bush did not do. Before 9/11, he did not listen. On the day of the attacks, he did not lead. And in the years since, he has not brought us the head of Osama Bin Laden.
7. There is one last lesson learned with certainty, in the seven years since that horrific morning, fear is not awareness.
For an archive of Words of Power posts on 9/11 and Terrorism, click here.
September 11th, 9/11, Cheney, Bush, PNAC, Iraq, Terrorism,9/11, Osama Bin Laden, Ayman Zawahiri, 9/11 Commission Richard Power, Words of Power